Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Boo Mama's Christmas Tour



Since this is my first year as a blogger naturally this is my first year to participate in "the tour" hosted by Boo Mama and boy am I excited! Now, let me warn you...I by no means live in a designer home showplace-I live with a small zoo (that includes 1 wild husband!) so lower your expectations, ignore any stray fur, and come on in!





When you first walk up to the front porch you will notice some really BIG and glittery ornaments hanging under the overhang. I think these are so fun and I really have no other place to display them, so I thought they made a nice addition to our "front porch ambience". Hey, that's what it's all about here in the South!





This year instead of a wreath I wanted to branch out a bit..I found this cool "grapeviney" container at Hobby Lobby for $10 and the flowers were half off at Stockdale's. I loved that they were unique looking and not just your run o' the mill poinsettia. How do you think it turned out?





As you make your way in the door you will come upon pretty much the only decorated area of the house, the living room. It is not a very big space and our furniture is a little overbearing in there so I try to keep things as minimal as I can because O' Christmas Tree lives in there!





The angel atop the tree has been in my family for years. She has the most beautiful porcelain face and pretty feather wings. Her gown is burgundy velvet so my color scheme tends to follow her attire! I have a lot of burgundy, gold, deep red, and green colors on the tree. I tend to lean more towards the "natural" look, meaning I load the tree up with a variety of "fake" pears, apples, grapes, and animals. Ironic huh?



Here are a few closeups of some of my favorite ornaments....








Now, don't laugh but I made these ornaments.....





I saw a similar idea on Kelly's blog and just changed it up a bit- I used the clear glass ornaments, took the shiny gift shred and put down inside the balls. Then I used glue to write our initials on the front, then I sprinkled the green glitter over the glue and looped ribbon through the top. They look a little Kindergarten-esque in the pictures, but I promise they look a little better in person!





These are just a few little accents on the side tables....the little tree was originally a Christmas Card holder but it didn't function very well in that capacity so I decided it was more decorative than functional. I love pine cones so I just put a few of those underneath the tree for a little decoration. Then, because I can't pass up anything glittery, I have a pretty deep burgundy poinsettia covered in glitter!





We have a modern style mirror that hangs above our couch and it just stuck out like a sore thumb! So, I found an old wreath I had and just hung it over the center of the mirror.

(I like this picture because you can see the reflection of the angel in the mirror)



Well, I hope you have enjoyed the tour as much as I enjoyed putting this together! Thanks so much for stopping by and.....



MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

17 comments:

Heather said...

Love your cute initial ornaments!

Amanda Ledford said...

LOVE your monogrammed ornaments! They don't look childish at all!!!

What's next said...

love your initial ornaments! Love the fur babies too! your dogs are very cute, we have a couple at our house too

Jodi said...

Thanks for opening your home for this tour.

phillips phamily said...

Thanks for stopping by! You have such pretty ornaments. I can't live with the Hobby Lobby!

Shellee said...

your decor is lovely...merry christmas!

Anonymous said...

So pretty and festive and sparkly! Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas!

Leigh Ann said...

Kara! Thank you for coming by my tour because otherwise I would have missed out on seeing your GORGEOUS tree. It is SO pretty! I also love what you did with Kelly's ornament idea. They look fantastic! I love all your decorations...I'm also a glitter lovin' girl! Merry Christmas!

Bonita said...

Very pretty! I really like your handmade ornaments.

Betsy said...

Kara-I had so much fun touring your home! You have some gorgeous ornaments!! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :)

Sharon said...

I love your handmade ornaments and your butterfly ornaments -- sooo pretty!

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! God Bless.

Faith said...

I am loving your glitter monogram ornaments...you did a great job!! Your home looks so pretty decorated for Christmas.

Praying for you too! God is going to do a big work, I just know it!

Jacquie said...

Very festive! I love your tree. Some of my favorite trees have the natural, woodsy-type ornaments! Love that!

Kelli said...

Wonderful decorations and your tree is gorgeous! Merry Christmas!
~Kelli

Kendra said...

Love your pretty butterfly ornaments!!!!
Merry Christmas!
Praying for you Kara!

Michie said...

Thank you for the tour! I think the ornaments you made look great!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara! Thanks for the tour and thanks for your visit to mine. I love your poinsettia thingey on the front door instead of a wreath. Very pretty!! The bulbs you decorated are really cool too! Have a very Merry Christmas...