Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Since this is my first year as a blogger naturally this is my first year to participate in "the tour" hosted by Boo Mama and boy am I excited! Now, let me warn you...I by no means live in a designer home showplace-I live with a small zoo (that includes 1 wild husband!) so lower your expectations, ignore any stray fur, and come on in!
When you first walk up to the front porch you will notice some really BIG and glittery ornaments hanging under the overhang. I think these are so fun and I really have no other place to display them, so I thought they made a nice addition to our "front porch ambience". Hey, that's what it's all about here in the South!
This year instead of a wreath I wanted to branch out a bit..I found this cool "grapeviney" container at Hobby Lobby for $10 and the flowers were half off at Stockdale's. I loved that they were unique looking and not just your run o' the mill poinsettia. How do you think it turned out?
As you make your way in the door you will come upon pretty much the only decorated area of the house, the living room. It is not a very big space and our furniture is a little overbearing in there so I try to keep things as minimal as I can because O' Christmas Tree lives in there!
The angel atop the tree has been in my family for years. She has the most beautiful porcelain face and pretty feather wings. Her gown is burgundy velvet so my color scheme tends to follow her attire! I have a lot of burgundy, gold, deep red, and green colors on the tree. I tend to lean more towards the "natural" look, meaning I load the tree up with a variety of "fake" pears, apples, grapes, and animals. Ironic huh?
Here are a few closeups of some of my favorite ornaments....
Now, don't laugh but I made these ornaments.....
I saw a similar idea on Kelly's blog and just changed it up a bit- I used the clear glass ornaments, took the shiny gift shred and put down inside the balls. Then I used glue to write our initials on the front, then I sprinkled the green glitter over the glue and looped ribbon through the top. They look a little Kindergarten-esque in the pictures, but I promise they look a little better in person!
These are just a few little accents on the side tables....the little tree was originally a Christmas Card holder but it didn't function very well in that capacity so I decided it was more decorative than functional. I love pine cones so I just put a few of those underneath the tree for a little decoration. Then, because I can't pass up anything glittery, I have a pretty deep burgundy poinsettia covered in glitter!
We have a modern style mirror that hangs above our couch and it just stuck out like a sore thumb! So, I found an old wreath I had and just hung it over the center of the mirror.
(I like this picture because you can see the reflection of the angel in the mirror)
Well, I hope you have enjoyed the tour as much as I enjoyed putting this together! Thanks so much for stopping by and.....
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping Paper! With lots of ribbon!
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial. Pre-lit. In 3 convenient sections. Snap and go!
3. When do you put up the tree? I NEVER get it put up the day after Thanksgiving! Always too much to do! Ususally get it up the 1st or so of December...
4. When do you take the tree down? HAHA....sometime between January and March!
5. Do you like eggnog? NO
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My Barbie dreamhouse that had an elevator!!
7. Hardest person to buy for? My husband. The man has everything. In our garage.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Mom
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I've gotten some pretty ugly sweaters in my day...
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? It's a Wonderful Life
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I do alot on online and sometimes I pick things up at all times of the year and just put it back until Christmas.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Turkey and Dressing
16. Lights on the tree? clear lights only.
17. Favorite Christmas song? O' Holy Night (Celine Dion version is BEAUTIFUL) I cry every time I hear it!
18. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Home
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixon, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We have a beautiful porcelain faced angel that has been in our family for years.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Christmas Eve usually
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? RUDE people in stores and CRAZY people on the road.
23. What theme or color are you using? I use cranberry red and gold
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Turkey and Dressing
25.What do you want for Christmas this year? A new job!
Now everyone else play along!!